SafeServe has partnered with Amica Insurance to provide insurers a chance to enroll in the safe driving course. Once completed, Amica will reduce your insurance rates accordingly. There were 8 chapters that had to be completed before taking a 25-question quiz at the end of the course. I've enclosed some of the most interesting questions asked in this defensive driving course.
1. A preventable collision is a collision in which the driver fails to do everything ___________ to avoid it.
d. All of the above
2. True or False: Primary enforcement of the seat belt law allows police officers to stop vehicles if the driver or front-seat passenger is observed not wearing a seat belt?
3. True or False: To steer out of a skid in a vehicle equipped with an anti-lock braking system, you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction you want the front of the vehicle to go?
4. True or False: Over half of all fatal two-vehicle crashes involving drivers 70 and older occur at intersections?
5. Aggressive driving is a factor in what percentage of fatal crashes? (Over five years, these crashes have accounted for more than 119,000 deaths.)
6. True or False: Do Hands-Free phones offer a safety benefit over Handheld devices?
7. Total stopping distance equals Perception, Reaction, and Braking Distance. What’s the total stopping distance for a car traveling at 55 mph?
a. 265 feet
b. 346 feet
c. 189 feet
d. 296 feet
8. To what extent has the number of drivers who feel “uncontrollable anger toward another driver” increased over the last 8 years?
9. True or False: You should check your oil level, tire pressure, transmission fluid, and brake fluid, once a month?
10. True or False: Tailgating is when a driver follows other vehicles too closely?
11. True or False: Anything that diverts your attention from the primary task of navigating your vehicle and responding to changing driving environment is a distraction. The three main distractions are: Manual, Visual and Cognitive?
12. True or False: Reasonable actions. To become a defensive driver, you also have to look at collisions and violations from the point of view of this crucial question: What reasonable action should I have taken to avoid this collision or violation?
13. True or False. Unloaded trailers take longer to stop than fully-loaded ones?
14. Who has the right-of-way at a 4 way stop?
a. The car that appeared first at the intersection?
b. The car that is turning left.
c. The car that is turning right.
d. When it comes to a right-of-way, no one has the right-of-way
The answer is B, Reasonable.
True. Secondary enforcement allows the police officer to issue a citation only after stopping the vehicle for another traffic violation.
False. According to the NSC, which has compiled over 30 research studies and reports by scientists around the world, the hands-free phone does not provide a safety benefit over handheld devices. They think that both of these options still involve cognitive distraction so one is not necessarily safer than the other.
The correct answer is B, 346 feet, which is longer than a football field.
The correct answer is A. Over the last 8 years, this number has doubled.
False, oil level, and tire pressure should be checked once a week. Transmission fluid and brake fluid should be checked once a month.
D. When it comes to a right-of-way, no one has the right-of-way. Traffic regulations only state who must yield the right-of-way.